hi hi hi!
It’s me, I’m back with more food to fill your bellies.
First, though, I think we should have a bit of a chit chat. We haven’t really talked about life recently, have we? I’m going to list 5 things that I have been doing lately and you guys should do the same in the comments below!
1. We’re pretty much all moved in and organized in our new place, I am going to do a whole post about some fun things I’ve been doing to decorate and organize. So definitely watch out for that next week-ish. But for now, let me just say I am dead tired. Cleaning, packing and organizing every night after a full day of work, gets mighty exhausting around the 12th straight day. Luckily for me, I am pretty much done now and I am happy with how things look at this point. We still want to buy a new sectional for the living room. Any ideas?
2. Along those same lines, I just ordered a custom dining table from this awesome local company called Rainfall Designs
I met with Desiree who makes up half of the Rainfall Designs team, and we were so impressed with their tables that we had to order one on the spot. They are all custom made and so you can choose the size, color and finish of your table. It takes them about 5-6 weeks to make your beautiful table. They also make benches, side tables, coffee tables, desks ect. Ours is going to be similar to this one.
Now I just have to find chairs. Again, any suggestions?
3. We have been really into binge watching series on Netflix. We just finished Orange is the New Black which I am SO excited to come back in June. We also got thoroughly obsessed with Suits. Which reminds me that Gabriel Macht needs to be mine, now. As well as Luther which is an awesome show! I was not really expecting to like it but its so dark and creepy, love it. We are looking forward to watching True Detective which everyone has been freaking out over. In case you were wondering, yes our whole lives do revolve around television.
4. I bought a Pilates reformer to use at home and I’m loving it. For anyone who has done Pilates at a studio, you know how expensive that can get. I was really sad when I had to stop going, but I knew it had to be done. I browsed online for reformers and they were still pretty expensive, between $700-$1000 or more. Lucky for me, someone had one for sale locally on Craigslist and I nabbed it for just under $200. It has the jump board and everything! Wee. I didn’t get to use it much since I got it right after we moved in, but I did a little training session for the last couple nights and I am really loving it.
5. I have been cooking A LOT. I am really focusing on making the most of the ingredients I already have, rather than buying new stuff all the time. It is
forcing allowing me to get really creative with recipes which has actually been really fun and challenging. Tonight I am going to possibly make some muffins for the week and then scrounge up something for dinner.
Now tell me what you guys have been up to! I wanna know.
Okay, onto the good stuff. I made these tacos one of the first nights after we moved and I did so for two reasons:
1. I had a hankering for tacos
2. We had no protein in the house other than shrimp
After we did our big first grocery shop, we came home with an elevator load of stuff and once we finished putting it away, Mr. Delish proclaimed that we had nothing to eat.
It was all the basics but nothing to really make any complete meals.
Luckily I did buy a gigantor bag of prawns from Costco so I decided to batter some of those babies up and shove ’em in a taco and then shove those in my face.
These are super easy guys, they come together in about 20 minutes and you will love the flavors!
Miss Delish asks:
What have you been up to lately?
Do you ever try to challenge yourself to make a meal with only what you already have in the house? Do you have any tips for me?
Beer Battered Shrimp Tacos with Jalapeno Lime Crema:
Total Time: 20 minutes
Total time where you’re actually doing things: 20 minutes
What you need:
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 jalapeno, minced finely
- 2 tbsps minced cilantro
- the juice of one lime
- 1 cup all purpose flour, plus 3 tbsps
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp seasoning salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 can of your favorite beer, I used Alexander Keith’s IPA because it’s not really an IPA and I have a thing for it.
- 1 lb fresh shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- Small flour tortillas, warmed
- Avocado, cilantro and lime wedges for serving
- Oil for frying
In a small bowl, mix together the sour cream, jalapeno, cilantro and lime juice, cover and refrigerate until ready to eat.
In a large bowl, add 1 cup of the flour, garlic powder, onion powder, seasoning salt and cayenne pepper and use a whisk to mix until totally combined. Now slowly
sip pour in the beer, whisking as you go, until you get a smooth batter.
Now set a large heavy bottomed pot over medium high heat and add about 2 inches of oil into the pot. Heat until a drop of the batter bubbles up and fries without falling to the bottom. While it is heating, toss the shrimp in the remaining flour and then drop them into the batter.
Once the oil is ready, add the battered prawns, one by one, making sure to let the excess batter drip off before adding to the oil. Fry in batches, until golden, about 2-3 minutes. Remove to a plate lined with paper towels to absorb the extra oil. Grab a flour tortilla, add 3 or four prawns, some avocado, cilantro and then drizzle with the Jalapeno Lime Crema you made earlier. Serve with lime wedges for spritzing.